As a professional salesperson, the burden of creating revenue is your responsibility. Anytime you are not face-to-face with a prospective customer, you are temporarily unemployed. The organization provided you with the tools necessary to become an entrepreneur. The company provides the advertising, the product support and supply, the reputation, telephones and the tools to assist you with communicating with potential clients.
Prospecting in the general sense of the word is defined as; searching for potential customers who may want to purchase our products and services. These potential customers consist of (a) current owners of our product (b) in-market clients (c) orphaned owners (d) defected customers (e) customers not yet in the market. The sales persons objective is to have at minimum five belly to belly contacts for every day worked. The contacts should generate at least one appointment each working day.
The following activities will help boost the daily appointment goal:
- Work your CRM (customer relations management) tool on a regular basis. Utilize the functionality to balance the tasks of prospecting, follow-up and task management.
- Maintain a current owner follow-up program that does at least three things
- Enhances the relationship.
- Encourages repeat business.
- Obtains referrals.
- Perform creative prospecting activities:
- Utilizing strategic email communications to creatively communicate with your customer base. Strategic emails should include content that creates a call-to-action.
- Using post cards with a quote of the month as a means to keep your name in front of your customer and potential customers.
- Active community involvement.
- Social Media engagement. Your brand awareness is essential in the age of social media.
Prospecting implies digging for gold. To find the “gold” you must move a lot of dirt in the process. The hard-work is part of selling that most salespeople do not want to do and do not do well. It is the process that involves the highest level of rejection and ultimately determines the path between ultimate success and complacent mediocre. Learn how to effectively work and build a prospecting pipeline and an increase in sales are sure to follow.